Whether you are new to bowling, or a seasoned professional, these are a few things everyone should be doing, or NOT doing!
- DO push the ball out, then down as you take your first step
- DO face your target squarely each time
- DO follow through smoothly; this will you greater accuracy
- DO work on making each spare. It is possible to bowl up to 190 with no strikes, but all spares
- DON’T rush the foul line; a brisk walk will keep your armswing in a smooth arc
- DON’T loft or bounce the ball onto the lane
- DON’T try to throw a speed ball; speed control is vital for higher and more consistent scores
- DON’T get discouraged with slow progress; bowling is a lifetime sport!
What is Proper Bowling Etiquette
You won’t find all of these in a rule book, but all bowlers should observe these basic good manners:
- Do not be tardy when it is your turn to bowl, BUT give way to the bowler on your RIGHT
- Stay off the other bowler’s approach
- By all means get property set, BUT don’t take all day
- Control your temper and your language
- A smooth delivery please! Do not loft the ball
- Don’t use another players ball, except with permission
- Do not cross the Foul Line – stay on your own side
- Let your opponent bowl in peace – don’t needle him/her
- Body english is great – but not on the next lane!